Sunday, September 13, 2009





This is a self promotional piece that I did a little while ago that I never quite finished. It was based on an idea of a little porcupine named Spike. His look of uneasiness is due to the fact that on his birthday he can't enjoy his own birthday balloons. A silly idea that I wish I developed a little more before painting, but we live and we learn. And perhaps one day I will work on it some more. I always liked the idea of contrast, and having unlikely characters in certain situations. I think most of the time it makes for an interesting image. I posted below some stages of drawing that I went through before beginning to paint this piece. Looking at the sketches I notice how much more personality he had before I forced myself to tighten up while painting. I notice this happens a lot in my characters and it's something I am trying to work on more. Making my characters more believable and relatable.

No comments:

Post a Comment