Friday, June 19, 2009

“Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals."

















In a great book that I am currently reading entitled “The Last Lecture” by Randy Pausch he writes:

“Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals. You’ve got to get the fundamentals down, because otherwise the fancy stuff is not going to work.”

I think this phrase pertains to artists just as much as it would anyone else. Students may not always understand the reason for fundamentals such as anatomy drawing and learning about perspective, because some believe that they will be drawing creatures; things that don’t look like human; or worlds that don’t exist, so why learn the basics?! And what they may not realize is that with the tools of anatomy and basic drawing in their tool belts, their fantasy worlds will become that much more believable. I had always loved figure drawing and still try to attend figure-drawing sessions when I can. At times the work schedule makes me make excuses for not going but it is something that I truly love to do. While at school I did drawings of anatomy more and more from anatomy books and it’s something that I miss. I still refer to my anatomy books a lot when sketching. Below are some great books on human anatomy that have helped me, and also served as reference for these drawings.

















Artistic Anatomy by Paul Richer and Robert Beverly Hale

Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Stephen Rogers Peck

Bridgman’s Life Drawing by George B. Bridgman

Constructive Anatomy by George B. Bridgman

No comments:

Post a Comment